Making Sure Your Home is Secure
1. Exterior doors must be secured with a deadbolt lock that has a hardened bolt and a minimum of a one inch throw.
2. Always Re-key exterior doors once you have taken possession of your new home/apartment.
3. Average door frames are made of wood construction and should have a heavy gauge strike plate installed . Heavy gauge strike plates are a inexpensive upgrade to protect your home from forced entry.
4. Install peep holes so you can view who is there before opening the door.
5. Burglars want the fastest way in here are some ways to deter them.
6. Always lock your doors and windows day or night on an average burglaries are committed in broad daylight.
7. Motion lights and flood lights should be installed. Also use low voltage landscape lights.
8. Never leave a key under flower pot , door mat , mail box.
9. Always keep shrubs, trees, plants trimmed around doors and windows preventing burglars from having a hiding place.
10. Install Glass block windows Basement windows are the easiest to enter.
11. If on vacation have neighbors watch your home. Also use timers to have lights on in your home. Have rooms timed to come on in different intervals
12. Never leave your keys in the ignition of your automobile. It takes 60 seconds to steal a car with the key.
13. Always secure your garage overhead and man doors.
14. Take inventory of all your valuables. Record serial numbers take photos or video this precaution will help you and your insurance company.